Monday, September 27, 2010

Jetlag...

Here it is. The reason I am writing this blog - how to get through the jetlag. Most people find it hard enough getting through it themselves, let alone getting another human through it.

Personally I have decided not to believe in jetlag. My method has always been to set my watch to the time of the destination and try my best to sleep in that time zone on the plane. I then try my very best to stay awake until at least 10pm when I get in, get out in the sunshine and eat at the proper meal times as much as possible in the first few days. And blind trust in my power to fool my own brain, I never refer back to the time at the place I left no matter what...

So, how to get a tiny person through it? The EXACT same way. When Bebe was 3 weeks old I was only going to London for a week so I didn't try and mess with her too much. She was sleeping a good 5 hour stretch at night by that time and I let her sleep when she wanted and got up with her at 5 to play when she wanted that. But every other time I have stuck to my basic jetlag principles.

I have been loosely following the 'EASY' plan from The Baby Whisperer since getting back from the UK that first time. I can't handle the strictness of the Contented Baby (sounds more like a military operation to me) but the EASY plan (basically Eat, Activity, Sleep every 3 hours then every 4 after about 4 months) has worked really well for us - just enough routine but flexible for our random life.

I must also say that the better class you can travel in the easier it will be. I am sorry to say that but it is true. But that is why you save up your points - not some shitty flight to Canberra to visit your second cousin.


So here are my tips:
1. Get a bassinet seat. Call the airline yourself (our travel agent said he did but there was no note when we got the airport the first time), get there really early and BEG!

2. If you are on British Airways or some others that don't have a bassinet seat ask for the cot as soon as you get on the plane - before you even sit down as they are limited and maybe one or two cots and a weird seat thing that I had no interest in.

3. If you are breast feeding take a bottle and some emergency formula. If you get really dehydrated and you run low of milk you can then give bubs some boiled & cooled water or formula to get her through (this is a tip from my friend Natalie - I haven't had to use it but it is a great tip nonetheless). And it goes without saying that you should drink loads of water on the flight.

4. Take a muslin to hang over the bassinet to keep the light and the action out of babies eyes (Bebe has severe fear of missing out on planes and must be shrouded to sleep)

5. Take toys and books and lots of nappies & wipes.

6. Get on the right time zone from the word go. Eg, if you are on a 4 hour plan then feed every 4 hours throughout the flight making sure you play with bubs for about an hour after each feed and waking up from even the deepest of sleeps to do so. If may be difficult for you (set your alarm if you need to) but it will cut the recovery time at the other end down at least a week I promise.

7. When you get in continue to do that as long as you need and get bubs outside in the sun (not directly obviously) during the day as much as possible. In my experience it takes 2 days like this to get bubs to recognise nighttime and then a week to get everything back to normal. We needed to add in an extra feed at around 2-3am for the first 2 or so weeks after each flight and for a few days it took a little longer for her to get back to sleep (if I had to I just lay her on her playgym while I snoozed on the couch for half an hour then she went back to sleep without too much fuss). I didn't fight that - it is what it is.

I must also note here that ever since that first trip we took we have used a dummy. It is part of Bebe's sleep routine and she usually sucks on it to get to sleep and then it drops out. I have no problem with this although I will admit I was tentative at first. I plan to stop using it once we get back to Australia when she is 6 months old but for various reasons I think it is the best thing at the moment:

1) she is a really quick feeder (7 minutes tops) so when we are flying, if I start feeding on the descent she finishes before we get to the ground and her ears hurt, but sucking on the dummy helps.

2) she is starting to teethe and wants to suck everything all the time - I would rather it be a clean dummy that the edge of a seatbelt, random people's fingers or anything else she can get her hands on.

3) It makes her happy but she is not dependent on it. It soothes her and it makes travel in cars, trains & planes easier for everyone including her. Everything I have read says that dummies are fine so I don't see it as any kind of weakness - anything that makes my little girl happy is good in my book (although when she is 15 and wants to drink a bottle of tequila I may change that stance...)

Anyway - I am sure everyone is different, you may disagree and your baby might not be on that plan or sleep/feed in the same way. This is just what I did and it worked.

Feel free to add in your comments and stories - would love especially to know how other airlines deal with bubbas...

xx

No comments: