Sunday, October 3, 2010

Squealing across America...

Yesterday we flew from LA to NYC. After all my preaching of an efficient suitcase and clever packing we still looked a little like refugees escaping with all of our belongings strapped to an overpriced luggage trolley. We have been away for over a month though and if you took away all my stuff and the clothes I bought her in LA (love the aussie dollar at the moment!) it wouldn't actually be that bad. You get away with a lot when you can stuff that stroller bag full of other stuff. It never counts as one of your bags so it is like free bag!

Virgin America doesn't have bassinet seats, well certainly not on the plane that we took. My husband and I disagree a bit about Virgin - he thought it was good service, I thought it was a bit average. We forked out for 'upper' class also so I expected a bit more to be honest. Nice seats and the food was pretty good but I can really do without Virgin stewards talking to us all like we are on a 18 to 30's cruise ship.

"...and if you see someone you like the look of on the plane you can always send them a seat to seat message through our entertainment center..." 

Really? If I am flying in a metal box a few miles above the earth with my life in someone's hands I want them to be serious and efficient not be busy helping me 'hook up'. Anyway there was no children's tv or movies on said entertainment 'center'. They did have live tv which has nickelodeon but for most of the flight it was playing a sitcom starring both Miley & Billy Ray Cyrus and no baby needs to be inflicted with that..

I am pretty against tv for babies at the best of times but yesterday, for some reason Bebe decided that squealing at the top of her lungs was both fun and entertaining for all. Having no bassinet or any place to play she got pretty bored of our laps, her toys and walking up and down the aisle pretty quickly. It actually wasn't all that bad but I could have done with some pretty spongebob style colours to distract now and then. Onya Virgin.

I may do a bit of research into the different airlines and what they offer for babies & kids. I suspect they differ greatly. If anyone has a story I'd love to hear it.

Oh, and I seem to have found a way to not have her screaming in ear pain as we land. I had a bottle of sterilised water that she sort of sucked on a little as soon as we started to descend and then the dummy and getting her to look into my eyes as I sang her favourite songs to her to distract. I also had a tissue with a little Olbas oil (eucalyplus would also work) that I waved under her nose. Not sure which worked or if it was just a fluke. I will tell you next week after the next flight!

We also used our new second hand car seat to carry her around the airport (sits on the luggage trolley pretty sweetly) and checked it on at the gate. We then could pop her straight into the taxi and she was as happy as can be. I will be doing that again...

Keep sending me your comments and stories - I am loving all the feedback!

x

No comments: