Monday, October 4, 2010

1st Guest Blog!

Hello all,

I have had some great responses to this blog and I have asked a few people to write down their tips &/or experiences so I can make then a guest blogger for the day.

So, here is our very first guest and it is none other than the lovely Fahey Younger who is a comedienne and fellow arty/carnie traveller. She has two beautiful boys Mo & Spike (here they are looking awesome):


and travels a lot with them so here goes:


Travelling w/ kids is a lot of fun - fun that dissipates somewhat as they get older. heh!

You pretty much hit all my tips especially - get a bassinet seat on the plane.  Covering an  "I don't want to miss out" baby w/ a muslin so they can sleep!   And I couldn't agree more.  The better the class the easier the travel - plus it's fantastic to hit the pointy end of the plane w/ a baby in your arms as the looks on the faces of the other passengers is priceless!  heh

Just a hint (mainly for flying within the US) if you're formula feeding, you'll generally take the water and the powder separately.  Some baggage checkers are morons and wont want to let you take cooled water in a bottle.  Even while you're holding a new baby.  Be prepared you'll have to pre-mix it or ditch it or fight.  Guess which one I chose?  heh

Some airlines are better with kids, Air New Zealand and Singapore Airlines are the BEST. Hands down.  United and Qantas, awful.

For pressurising little ears.  I always try to reserve some bottle for take-offs and landings - cause babies are crap at chewing gum.

Bigger kids - this is my absolute number one tip for a long haul flight.  Before you leave, hit the Toy Aisle at KMart and buy up a bunch of little toys.  The biggest hits are always tiny containers with ATTACHED lids, little battery powered fans that light up, toy cars, stretchy frogs (don't ask me what they're made of I have NO clue but they're stretchy and stick to windows) - really anything cheap and small.  Then, you wrap each one.  Lots of tiny presents.  Then you just dish them out as the flight goes on and the kids get bored.  We tend to buy 1 toy per 2 hours.  FAIL SAFE!  They're small enough to cram in your handbag/carry on just remember, don't buy anything that makes a noise!!  That has worked for us since Spike was 10 months old.


Those hire companies are extra fabulous, not just for cots and car seats but for things like the beloved Jumperoo.  Certainly too big to travel with but essential for Mumma's mental health. :-)

We have always travelled w/ the fullsize pram too (A hulking big Zekiwa and now a sleeker Love n Care) and have never had a problem.  I don't check the pram, I wheel it up to the gate and the hosties will take it from you there and 99% of airlines will have it at the gate when you get OFF the plane.  Voila I say.  VWAH-LAH!

So there you are - a great few flying tips from the excellent Fahey - feel free to leave your comments and if anyone else wants to write a guest blog email me at info@alimcgregor.com

Next up 'traveling strollers' so feel free to send me your favourites to go into the mix.

x

No comments: